Helping protect your home and your family. We provide the best rates for home insurance, protecting your property and liability.

Home Insurance in Ontario

Your home is very likely to be the most valuable asset in your life. These days, your home can be a refuge from the COVID-19 pandemic, a place to work from, or an invest ment. Home is where your family is. Whatever the case, it makes sense to protect your home and your family against the perils that the modern homeowner might face.


With home insurance, there are a variety of policy types. Whether you need home insurance in Ontario, Toronto, or surrounding areas such as Mississauga or Brampton, policies can be made specific to your needs as you make choices to tailor your coverage. A home insurance policy is meant to cover your home, the contents of your home, and/or yourself and your family from risks and perils.
Your home insurance premium can change depending on a variety of factors. This could include:
  • Where your home is located
  • The years you’ve lived in your home
  • How long you’ve had homeowners insurance
  • How old your home is
  • The general condition of your home
  • The type of heating system in your home
  • How much coverage you want
  • Your history of claims
  • If you work from your home

Depending on the insurer, the policy might be subject to exclusions. It is vital that you understand what the exclusions on your specific home insurance policy might be and speak to your broker about what protections would bring you peace of mind.

Home insurance companies provide policies that usually cover you, your spouse/partner, and your children (up to a certain age). The policy will usually cover dependents under certain ages. Ages might vary between insurance providers.

What is in the Standard Homeowner’s Insurance Policy?

Home Insurance coverage can be split into two parts – Property Coverage and Liability Coverage.


Property coverage in home insurance  generally covers loss or damage to your dwelling, other structures on your property, and your personal property. Your policy will also cover fees for living somewhere else in case you cannot live in your home due to an accident.

Structures attached to the main covered home are also protected. This includes attached garages or in-ground swimming pools.

This includes any structure separated from the main home by a clear space. A shed or detached garage would be covered by this part of the policy.

Anything a policyholder uses, wears, or owns can be covered by their policy. There are specified limits set as to what can be covered here. It is best to keep a detailed list of the items you own and their value.

 If your home becomes uninhabitable due to a covered accident, then your policy will cover the cost of you finding a different space to live in while repairs or replacements are being made.

Liability Coverage

Liability coverage will provide protection for you if you face legal proceedings for unintentional injury caused against a third party or a third party’s property while they were on your property. Part of this coverage would also include coverage for any medical costs the injured party might need.  


The key to getting cheap home insurance is looking for discounts. This is where your home insurance broker comes in. There are discounts for:

  •   Homes with monitored smoke detectors and intruder alarm
  •   If you have membership or employment with particular organizations
  •   Loyalty or multi-lines discounts (e.g., if you have multiple policies with one provider)
  •   Claims-free people (i.e., if you have never had an insurance claim)
  •   Senior citizens
  •   Newer Homes (i.e., homes built recently that are up to current codes and by-laws)

Home-Based Businesses

Standard home insurance policies offer very minimal, if any, coverage for equipment or materials related to home based businesses. Home insurance is not the correct policy to meet the needs of self-employed people who work from their house. Typically, business equipment is only covered while at your home and up to a specified limit. Any merchandise for sale or samples are not covered. You must let your insurance provider know if you are operating a home-based business. If you do not, you might compromise the coverage of your home insurance policy.

There are some insurers who might include home-based business coverage in their home insurance policies.

However, if this endorsement is not specified in your home insurance policy, you will need to purchase the correct type of business insurance to ensure that your equipment and other business-related assets are adequately covered.

Rental Properties

If you are a homeowner or a landlord of a property you don’t live in, then you need a rental policy on top of the standard home insurance policy. Tenants that rent your property provide different risks and rental policies try to account for that. Tenants are not covered in standard home insurance policies. If you plan on renting your property, you need to let your insurance provider know and purchase the correct policy, or else your home insurance policy coverage will be compromised or completely voided. Often, rental policies are called landlord insurance policies. For a tenant or renter, they would need a tenants’/renters’ insurance policy. A landlord policy protects the person who owns the rental property, while a renters’ policy protects the person who is living in the property.

What makes sense for you?

All in all, home insurance is a vital protective tool for your living space. Home insurance companies give policies that ensure you have peace of mind in the case of damage or loss to you and your family's place of living. Do your research and keep excellent records of your valuables, as well as the history of your home, in order to find good coverage. The discomfort or stress of dealing with home repairs or rebuilding due to an accident can be alleviated if you purchase the best policy that fits your needs. Speak to your insurance broker at CIS to figure out what policy coverage works best for you.